Our Main Service
Assuming the garage meets the following criteria, a fixed-price quotation and full breakdown of costs can be provided;
- The garage is integrated within your main house footprint (i.e. not detached)
- The garage has either a pitched roof over, or habitable space over (i.e. not a flat roof)
- If detached, it has a pitched roof over
- Flat roof garages are more involved, as a “warm roof” detail or a new pitched roof would have to be allowed for. There may be Planning Permission issues as well.
The cost to convert a 2.6m x 5.5m single integrated garage would be between £12.5k – £14.5k inclusive (dependant on structural opening requirements and finishes). Detached garages of the same size will be approximately 20% more. These costs allows for build up to front, matching existing build fabric, a new uPVC window with fire egress openings, suspended timber floor, all insulation, plaster finish, any boxing in of services, entry door, skirtings and architraves. A radiator fed from your existing heating system installed by our Gas Safe Heating Engineer. Painting by customer (although can be quoted for). We allow for 8 down lighters switched in two banks and 4 double sockets, all installed and signed off by our NICEIC electrician. Mains fed smoke alarm. Integral built in cupboards and other special requirements can be catered for.
All work inspected and signed off with a Local Authority Building Control (LABC) Completion Certificate, with initial application / administration cost included within our quotation.
Our goal is to provide you with a fully heated comfortable room with finishes matching your existing home. We have many references from fully satisfied customers, who we have carried out garage conversions for.
We are now specialising in converting garages as our main service, and as a result, have been able to produce specifications which meet the approval of LABC without the input of an architect.”
Planning Permission Consideration / Other Permissions
In the majority of cases, Planning Permission is not required for the change of use of a garage to habitable space, although if the dwelling is either one of the following, then Planning Permission / Other Permissions will need to be applied for;
- If the dwelling is a listed building.
- If the dwelling is in a conservation area.
- If the dwelling has a covenant regarding changing the use of garage / ability to have off road parking.
- Some housing developers remove the Permitted Development entitlement.
- Permissions may have to be sought from estate landowners (for example Duchy of Cornwall).
- Permissions may have to be sought from the housing developer, if the dwelling is within a new housing estate.
- If the build line is being changed (for example the introduction of a pitched roof, rather than an existing flat roof).
We strongly recommend that the customer make the necessary checks regarding the above before commencing any works.